Friday, February 27, 2009

#29. Women Need Love - Listed


I make excuses on occasion like the next person but I am always a lady of my word. The rules may even change slightly but I still get the job done, I work, baby. If I said I would share 28 of my favorite love songs, movies, etc., then by golly that is what I am going to do! Who cares if it is February 27, 2009, and I am only on #8. All I need is ten minutes and I can dish out a list of the last 20 in descending David Letterman fashion:

#20. My Best Friend’s Wedding – when Julia Roberts and the guy who plays her best friend are on the boat and she wants to tell him that she loves him. Frank Sinatra’s “The Way You Look Tonight” is playing in the background and as they approach the bridge you can feel the tension rising, will she tell him, I hope she tells him, but she can’t. He looks disappointed and she feels she has lost her golden opportunity. I find that romantic in a bizarre unrequited sort of way. Julia’s character reminds me of myself and how full I feel inside but I have the hardest time showing it – I am much better in writing!

#19. This song has been played to death recently, and then resurrected. Still, I think it is one of the best. “At Last” by Etta James. Sorry B., gotta give love to those who paved the way.

#18. “Love Ballad” by LTD is a throw-back favorite. If you like George Benson you will be scatting to his version.

#17. “My Funny Valentine” sung by anybody. My favorite rendition is this one by Anita Baker.

#16. “My First Love”. Ooooohhh…this brings back memories, when love was pure and innocent. Cannot share all the details but if ever a song told the truth – “long as I live, you will be my first love.”…You know who you are.

#15. Splendor in the Grass with Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood. Another sad love story that I can’t get enough of. Rich guy and poor girl fall in love, want to have sexual relations, both receive misguided advice, girl goes crazy, boy ends up poor and married anyway. At least that is how I recall it.

#14. “Endless Love” by Lionel Ritchie and Diana Ross is a timeless love song. This video may not be appropriate for children.

#13. Stevie Wonder is a musical genius, and he "Knocks Me off My Feet” with this 70’s love ballad.

#12. The Titanic Movie and Theme Song – “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion. You saw the movie, need I say more.

#11. “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston. In college I had the lead role in an emotionally charged play about how a man ought to love a woman, and one of the girls sang this song. She brought down the house. I loved acting and being on stage, and I will always love this song for reminding me of those days.

#10. “Longer Than” by Dan Fogleberg is a poem set to music.

#9. Anita also gets the nod for “Sweet Love”! I had my first snotty cry to this song. A crush in middle school on a high-school boy who had eyes for my best friend left me heart-broken. How could he not notice me!!! We dated later in life and the reality could not hold a candle to what I had envisioned in my mind. Some crushes should never be fulfilled.

#8. The Song of Solomon is the most poetic love story ever told, in the greatest book that was ever written.

#7. C’mon this is the song about loving life and living it with the one you love – “100 years” by Five for Fighting. Whenever I hear it I just feel good.

#6. They say that love creates poets. Jill Scott put it down in “He Loves Me” and made me want to have whatever she was having!!! She does that with a lot of her songs. I love you Jill!

#5. My sweetie sent me this little ditty to tell me he was “Ready for Love”. I fell in love with the song instantly, and I began to fall for the sender as well.

#4. “A Song for You” by Donny Hathaway is a bitter-sweet melody that reminds us that life may be end, but love is forever.

#3. “Love” by musiq soulchild. Self explanatory.

#2. “If It Wasn’t For Your Love” by Heather Headley – Beautiful song! You can just feel the sincerity in every word. The first time I heard it I literally cried.

#1. “The Prayer” by Celine Dion and Josh Groban is my number one Love song. The music, the singers, and the lyrics. What can be lovelier than a talk with God, my TRUE FIRST LOVE!!!

No comments: